Child obesity is one of the major problems observed in children. It’s especially concerning because childhood obesity frequently puts kids on the route to health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, which were formerly thought to be adult issues. Depressed and low self-esteem in children can also result from obesity. It is crucial to stay in touch with the top pediatrician in Ahmedabad to maintain your toddler’s health.
Type 2 diabetes, once thought to be a disease of middle life and old age, has been rapidly rising in prevalence among kids and teenagers. According to data from a few nations, this growth coincides with an increase in the prevalence of childhood and teenage obesity. While type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents is not currently a significant public health issue in India, new data demonstrating rising rates of childhood obesity, particularly in our large cities, raise alarm.
Obesity and overweight are significant risk factors for type 2 diabetes. Enhancing your family’s food and activity habits is one of the greatest ways to combat kid obesity. Your child’s health is better now and in the future when you treat and prevent childhood obesity. Consult a top pediatrician in Ahmedabad to know more about childhood obesity and diabetes.
Signs & Reasons That Child Is At Risk Of Obesity
- Skin conditions include skin tags or acanthosis nigricans, which cause unsightly or unclean skin on the neck and axilla area. Psychiatric / Psychological Obesity has a link to problems including low self-esteem, unfavorable self-image, depression, and social disengagement.
- Patterns of inactivity, such as watching too much television and not moving around much. Overeating, anorexia nervosa, and other disorders may be brought on by low self-esteem and an inferiority complex.
- Heredity of obesity-related health concerns such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, early cardiovascular disease, smoking cigarettes, and inactivity.
How Childhood Obesity Is Determined?
Not all overweight children have excess weight. Some kids have bigger-than-average frame sizes. Based on their developmental stage, children may have different body fat levels. Because of this, it’s conceivable that you can’t determine from how your child seems whether their weight poses a health danger. As soon as you notice something unusual, you shall immediately consult a top pediatrician in Ahmedabad.
Body mass index (BMI), which calculates a person’s weight in relation to their height, is a recognized indication of overweight and obesity. By using growth charts, the BMI, and, if necessary, further tests, your child’s physician may assist you in determining if your child’s weight may result in health problems.
Diet to Follow for Healthy Child Development
Moms who are worrying about their child’s weight should urge him or her to eat a variety of fresh, wholesome foods.
- A low-sugar breakfast of whole-grain wheat biscuits with milk and a piece of fruit is a healthy way to start the day.
- Offer dry fruit or canned fruit in natural juice in place of sweets. Ice cream alternatives include frozen yogurt.
- Half of the energy in a child’s diet comes from sources like chapati, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and so on.
- Foods high in carbs have a large volume compared to their calorie content. They are therefore nourishing and full.
- Try eating less-fattening options like fresh fruit, crusty bread, or crackers in place of high-fat meals like chocolate, cookies, cakes, and crisps.
- It is better to bake or grill food, instead of frying. Burgers, fish fingers, and sausages are all equally delicious when grilled but contain less fat. Chips that are baked instead of fried have less fat.
- Sugar-laden fizzy drinks should be avoided. Replace them with sugar-free alternatives or freshly squeezed juices diluted with water.
The manner in which your child’s body uses sugar (glucose) as fuel is affected by type 2 diabetes, a chronic condition. Sugar builds up in the bloodstream as a result of the disease if it is left untreated, which can have detrimental long-term effects. You have a lot of options for managing or preventing type 2 diabetes in your child. For more alternatives, consult a top pediatrician in Ahmedabad.
Symptoms Of Diabetes
The condition may occasionally be identified during a normal checkup. These indications and symptoms of having too much sugar in their bloodstreams in certain kids include:
- Higher thirst and more frequent urination
- Hazy vision
- Darkened skin spots, most frequently around the armpits and groin or around the neck
- Increased appetite
- However, compared to kids with type 1 diabetes, involuntary weight loss occurs less frequently in kids with type 2 diabetes.
Ways To Prevent
Making healthy lifestyle choices can aid in protecting children from type 2 diabetes. Assist your youngster in:
- Eat nutritious foods – Give your youngster calorie- and fat-free meals. Place a focus on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. In order to avoid boredom, strive for diversity.
- Get moving more often – Encourage your youngster to start moving about. Enroll your kid in dancing classes or a sports team.
Consult a top pediatrician in Ahmedabad if you’re concerned that they’re gaining too much weight. The pediatrician will take into account your kid’s past patterns of growth and development, your family’s history of weight-for-height, and where your child ranks on the growth charts. Finally, they’ll come up with some conclusions and remedies for the better development of your child.